Updating The Living room Floor

A job we did this week was to refinish a living room floor that originally had carpet when this homeowner purchased the house. He was planning on replacing the carpet and discovered hardwood floor underneath. He then called us to refinish it.
At the front door there was sheet vinyl with under layment stapled down. The staples were quite stubborn to pull out, which more than half of them snapped right off. We had to use vise-grips and end nippers to either pull them out or nip them.  We were amazed how many staples were there just at the front door.
We then sanded the floor which was a dark amber and then stained it to a rich dark walnut color.

The living room
The floor before sanding.
The staples in the front entrance.
THAT’S a lot of staples!! 😱
The floor sanded cleanly.
The front entrance sanded, stained and finished.
The finished job. 😊

Replaced a Wobbly Newel Post

When we came to see the balustrade that the homeowner was fussing with it was quite obvious that it needed replaced.


We took out the balustrade rather easily since it was not attached very well. We installed a box newel post we had made, handrail with metal balusters, and a wall handrail.